Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.

GamesMaster Scan Updates

Last updated on 1 month ago
S
slider1983
Posted 2 months ago
Just an update.

I have now scanned and sent to Kiwi all 2006 GamesMaster mags. I'm taking a break from scanning this mag as I want to organise what I have scanned for selling. Plus I have other non-video game mags that I will need to scan. Don't worry, I will be back on the rest of the mag eventually. What I have scanned is looking pretty solid in terms of quality so that's good. There's plenty to go through that I've been sending anyway so will keep readers busy. Smile
B
bigkev
Posted 2 months ago
Thank you for all your hard work mate. Much appreciated!

GamesMaster for me is the best multi-platform magazine there ever was. I was genuinely gutted when publication ceased.
T
Tricky
Posted 2 months ago
Thanks so much! It's amazing to think that we might have a full set here one day.
S
slider1983
Posted 2 months ago
I probably didn't word that correctly. When I say I scanned all 2006 GM mags I mean from that year plus ones from previous years. Kiwi can choose to reject my rescans but I believe at least some of those rescans fix problems with the ones currently available. I still have more to scan but at least I can finally get rid of the ones I've scanned!
MarkMark
Posted 2 months ago
I appreciate your dedication, Slider. Your attention to detail in preserving these mags in the best way possible is pretty awesome! Smile

And agreed bigkev. Gamesmaster was the king of multi-platform mags. Although in my opinion its heyday was in the distant past. Around mid 90's to mid 00's. Totally a personal opinion though.
S
slider1983
Posted 2 months ago

Mark wrote:

@Mark - I appreciate your dedication, Slider. Your attention to detail in preserving these mags in the best way possible is pretty awesome! Smile

And agreed bigkev. Gamesmaster was the king of multi-platform mags. Although in my opinion its heyday was in the distant past. Around mid 90's to mid 00's. Totally a personal opinion though.
No I agree 100%. Their values however always bothered me a bit as well. Reading the 2006 mags they really look down on retro gaming when it was already taking off a couple of years previously. I disagreed more with their scores than agreed as well. The 2003 TMNT games really got horrible scores when they weren't that bad. Looking at the retro mags in general anything with Power in the title I'm not a fan of content wise. I've come to appreciate Sega Pro as they seemed to value the games a bit more.

I believe Nipedly has some outstanding GM mags to be published so there's definitely one 2004 mag I'd love to see uploaded as I don't have access to it. I'll eventually get started on the 2007 year and I appear to have some rare-ish ZX Spectrum issues to scan somewhere down the line.
B
bigkev
Posted 2 months ago
@Mark, definitely agree that their best work was in the nineties, particularly late nineties for me.

@Slider, out of curiosity how much of the Gamemaster team from the nineties were still working on the magazine up until 2006?
Edited by bigkev on 06/09/2021, 2 months ago
S
slider1983
Posted 1 month ago

bigkev wrote:

@Slider, out of curiosity how much of the Gamemaster team from the nineties were still working on the magazine up until 2006?
Not many. Robin Alway obviously was. Contributors like Martin Kitts and Kieron Gillian (maybe a few others like Jes Bickam) were. I believe Dave Harrison started in the late-90's so he would qualify as 90's. Apart from that anyone from the 90's had gone by that point.

Then around 2008/2009 they had a big turnaround on employees again who had started in the early 2000's, changed the magazine to how it would be till it's cancellation in 2018 and brought in revolving young writers to run the magazine. Robin Alway ended up being the last person to go as he was the editor till about 2014/2015.

When he stepped down it began a revolving door of editors who didn't stay more than a year or so. If the 90's was the mag at its best the 2000's it wasn't terrible but alright. However you can start to see the shift in quality in the 2006 mags so from 2009 onwards I believe it became a shows of its former self.
Edited by slider1983 on 12/09/2021, 1 month ago
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.